The Standing Committee serves as the Bishop’s Council of Advice. In the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia, the Standing Committee consists of eight members, four clergy and four laity, who are elected to four-year terms by Diocesan Convention. The Standing Committee’s purview includes consenting to the encumbrance or sale of Diocesan property, approving ordinations to the diaconate and priesthood, and consenting to the election of bishops in dioceses of the Episcopal Church. In the absence of a bishop canonically authorized to act, the Standing Committee serves as the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese.
The Standing Committee meets on the third Wednesday of the month at 11am.
The Members of the Standing Committee:
- Charlie (Chuck) Andrus, President, St. John’s, Huntington (2025)
- The Rev. Susan Claytor, Secretary, St. Stephen’s, Beckley (2025)
- Monika Jaensson, St. Matthew’s, Charleston (2023)
- David Lumsden, St. James’, Lewisburg (2026)
- The Rev. Greg Pennington, St. Christopher, Charleston (2026)
- The Rev. Robert (Bobby) Shives, Trinity, Martinsburg (2023)
- Phil Steptoe, Trinity, Martinsburg (2024)
- The Rev. Kim Webster, St. Matthew’s, Charleston (2024)
Contact Chuck Andrus, President of the Standing Committee